Saturday, January 28, 2023

Old Schooll Aquarium Filters

 

I had Dynaflow filters, and I loved them. I always found the siphons easy to start. Mine came with a gadget that slipped over the end of the intake tube, and you squeezed the bulb a few times, and it pumped the tube full of water.

But the big thing I liked about these filters was that the pump pumped filtered water. Modern filters pump unfiltered water, and you get jammed and broken impellers. If a fry or other small critter gets sucked into a modern filter, it gets chewed up by the impeller, and if it lives through that, it could get pinned to the bottom of the filter material and die there. With the Dynaflow filter, a fry getting sucked in will for a little ride and live in the filter until he is discovered.

There were no seals at the bottom of the filter. Dynaflow filters had a magnetic drive that worked through the bottom of the filter box.

Dynaflows worked great as a filter, and you could use just about anything you wanted for filter media. I used filter floss and sponges in mime. Looking at the outflow, I could quickly tell when the filter needed cleaning. They didn't flood the floor if they got clogged. They just stopped.

There were also a good number of air-driven HOBs back then. I wish these were still available.

No comments:

Post a Comment