Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Outdoor Plants In My Stock Tanks - Above Ground Ponds

110 Gallon Stocktank - Above Ground Pond With Guppies, Mystery Snails, and Platies
110 Gallon Stocktank - Above Ground Pond With Guppies, Mystery Snails, and Platies

I live in Tallahassee FL. I have three outdoor year-round Stock tanks. I have also used various other containers; Aquariums, Concrete Mixing Tubs, wading pools, and stock tanks. I have plants that have survived air temperatures well below freezing. I once had more than an inch of ice for a few days.

Plants that have worked for me so far are dwarf Sagittarius, duckweed, anacharis, and Amazon Frogbit.

Dwarf Sagittarius, will grow in any tank I have but works best if it has a little substrate. It grows to the top of the water no matter how deep blooms and will cover the bottom of whatever you put it in.

Duckweed is, well duckweed. It will cover the top of the outdoor tanks. I have had it two inches thick and scooped it out by the hand full. I finally got rid of it everywhere by adding some feeder goldfish. It took them a while, but they ate all of the duckweed.

Anacharis is picky about where it grows. I have some containers where it slowly dies and others where it grows but not what I would call well. I have one 100 gallon stock tank that I routinely pull out a bucket full. It grows slower in cool temperatures, but it still thrives in winter. It grows like crazy in the summer and blooms.

Amazon Frogbit did well for me year-round. It grew huge outside and had lots of flowers. Unfortunately, armyworms decided it was good to eat, and I could not pick them off fast enough to save it. My guppies would devour the caterpillars, even picking apar the larger ones.

Crypts grow very well in summer but will not survive our mild winters.

Amazon swords don't survive the winter but grow well in summer.

A few days ago, I added some huge Anubis I removed from a tank I had indoors because they were so big they were growing out the top of my aquarium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment