Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Removing Amazon Frog Bit From My 300 Gallon Stock Tank

 

Three Gallon Bucket Packed Full Of Amazon Frog Bit
Three Gallon Bucket Packed Full Of Amazon Frog Bit



I have had Amazon frogbit in my stock tanks before. That variety was great. The frogbit grew like crazy and lived through the Florida Panhandle winters. Then one day, a local insect (moth) decided that they were good to eat and started laying eggs on the plants. Every day I had a new batch of caterpillars. My fish loved them but could not get at the worms unless they fell or got knocked into the water. Eventually, the caterpillars won. No more frogbit.


This year I tried again. I bought some plants and put a few in every aquarium and stock tank I have. It died in most locations or was very sickly looking. Then one day, the frogbit started to grow and spread in my 300-gallon stock tank. The plants got larger and grew faster until they covered most of the tank. The plants looked terrible, with dead leaves everywhere and roots that went to the bottom of the tank, causing problems for the fish. Finally, it got so bad that I could not see the fish and was interfering with the feeding. It was time to thin the plants.
 

The bucket pictured is 3-gallons and is packed tight with Amazon frogbit. I cleared less than 1/4 of the surface. A week later, it was closing in again. I'm going to pull it all out.


#aquarium #tubbing #stocktanks #rubbermaid #fish #aquaticplants #amazonfrogbit #floridapanhandle

No comments:

Post a Comment